Thursday, April 2, 2015

Role Model: Interview

      I had the great opportunity to interview my boss Attorney Ray A. Ybarra Maldonado. Currently, I have no interest in being a lawyer but  I want to pursue a career that prospers in obtaining justice. After being an intern in The Law Office of Ray A. Ybarra Maldonado, I have witness the injustice that happens in our criminal justice system. It is defendants like Ray A. Ybarra Maldonado that demonstrate that one person can actually make a difference. Ray A. Ybarra Maldonado is an attorney, social justice advocate, a husband and father; with all this he manages to balance his life schedule to ensure that justice is granted for those that deserve it. His commitment for his work is reflected on the numerous cases he has won. Thus, before interviewing him, it was essential to have questions that covered all aspects of his work, in and out of the office.
    The first part of the interview I covered education needed to be a lawyer, and advice for those seeking to be a lawyer. Attorney Ray recommended anyone interested in being a lawyer to not do it for the money but because they love it, because with so many lawyers coming out the money is no longer guaranteed. As an undergraduate one should focus on their grades if they want to enter competitive schools, and once a student is admitted into law school consider taking different subjects to broaden your interest. As previously mentioned one should be in the field because they are passion about. Passion is the best character value one could have in this field. Attorney Ray emphasized that if one has passion everything else will derive from that.It is this character value that has driven him to work through the nights and drive all over the state .
A question I found highly important because as an attorney or any other profession one won't always succeed. So how do does one deal with failure when they know that their actions has direct impact in the lives of their clients? Attorney Ray mentioned that failure is part of the fight, one won't always succeed, its just about learning from it and continue fighting because the fight doesn't end , it just begins again. The second part focuses on being an Justice advocate. I asked him when should we not comply with law, when the law is unjust that being, when should we engage in civil disobedience or walk away? Attorney Ray, stated "that we should choose our battles, not ideal moments". Engage as to what is in the best movement overall. Immigrants is still under use civil disobedience. These were some of the key questions that illuminated my understanding about the impact one individual can make, as well as; the importance of justice.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. It is a tough industry to work in but very rewarding. Years ago after I graduated with my undergrad in political science and justice admin degree it was my goal to continue onto law school here at ASU. Somehow life tends to take you in different directions if you let it but sometimes it is worth it to seek a different path if you have passion for it. I thought I would take a semester off and then enter law school but instead I got married and then started my own business in real estate. My exwife and I also started to travel. We made an agreement to not wait until we are old an retired to travel and see the world. If you look on my posts or my FB I have posted some pics. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete